Equity Council Membership
December 9, 2019
Dear Horizon Academy West Families, Staff, and Community,
We are in the process of forming the Horizon Academy West Equity Council to help establish and guide efforts in ensuring culturally and linguistically responsive (CLR) practices at our school in accordance with NM Public Education Department (NM PED) guidelines.
The purpose of the Horizon Academy West Equity Council is as follows:
- Ensure all students in New Mexico are engaged in a culturally and linguistically responsive (CLR) educational system that meets their social, emotional, and academic needs (NM PED, 2019).
- Build the school-level framework integrating input from parents, families, Tribes, and communities with support from the school and district to ensure students have equitable access to learning.
- Ensure plans are implemented and shared with school community on annual progress of student achievement with specific focus on economically disadvantaged students, English learners, Native American students, and students with disabilities.
- Create a forum for the school community to connect with the school and have input and insight on CLR practices within the school through collaborative efforts.
Please click here for more information on tasks and expectations.
Selection of members is ongoing to fill additional council slots as needed up to the fifteen (15) member limit. Current membership selection is based on meeting the state requirements, interest, and available membership slots. Membership selection for the founding council has and will be approved through administration at Horizon Academy West until a framework is set forth by the council.
The current membership consists of the following:
- Andrea Gallegos – Horizon EL Coordinator
- Kathy Young – Horizon Data Coordinator
- Dayra Fallad-Mendoza – Parent
- Steve Montano – Parent
- Martin Segura – Parent
Future membership selections will be added as applications are turned in for review. If interested in applying for membership please complete application below.
Carissa Cantrell Administrator
Horizon Academy West