Second grade is a year of transition from acquiring new skills to applying them in the learning process.
In mathematics, students will extend their understanding of place value to the hundreds place. They will also:
- Use place value understanding to solve word problems.
- Solve problems involving length and other units of measure.
- Continue to work on addition and subtraction skills.
- Quickly and accurately add and subtract numbers up through 20.
- Work with numbers up through 100.
- Understand fractions by working with shapes and geometry.
In language arts and literacy, students will continue reading and writing. They will also:
- Read more texts that provide facts and background knowledge in areas including science and social studies.
- Read more challenging texts and be asked questions that will require them to refer back to what they have read.
- Increase emphasis on building a strong vocabulary so they can read and understand challenging material.
- Learn the basics of grammar in writing, including subject, verbs, and adjectives.
- Write to inform, express personal ideas, and persuade.
Social Studies curriculum encompasses topics and study of:
- United States and New Mexico history
- Civics and Government
Students will use scientific thinking and practice to study subjects including:
- Physical Science
- Life Science
- Earth and Space Science
Second grade teachers use Common Core Standards to create and facilitate math and language arts instruction. New Mexico Education Department approved standards and benchmarks are used for social studies and science.
To learn more about second grade standards, visit the Language Arts and Mathematics Common Core Standards sites, as well as the the New Mexico Science and Social Studies Standards sites at the links provided.