Welcome to fifth grade! Fifth-grade teachers have high expectations for the continued growth of your child’s learning. We want all of our students to reach their full potential and promise to work hard to help them to get there. We expect that all students be engaged and involved in all aspects of their learning and that they strive to be the best that they can be. We expect that they put full effort into all activities and assignments given to them this year. Fifth grade is not just about expectations; it’s about feeling a sense of accomplishment and being rewarded when meeting those expectations. We want students to be able to apply their knowledge in new situations, solve problems by generating new ideas, and make connections between what they learn in class to the world around them. It is our hope that we prepare them for the continuing challenges they will face in their education. We look forward to getting to know each and every one of you!
10 Things You Never Knew About the 5th Grade!
- You will have a pen pal to correspond with all year!
- You will travel the world through our Passport to the World unit as well as immerse yourself in New Mexico History.
- The year will revolve around you, as a person in motion. We will write and publish autobiographies.
- We will have intensive genre study as well as memory challenges the entire year!
- You will have the opportunity to join Wild Friends! This group attends regular field trips centered on restoring and preserving the natural beauty of New Mexico and its inhabitants.
- You will have the opportunity to join the 5th grade chess club!
- You will have the opportunity to experience the Sandia Mountains like never before- in an outdoor classroom and through an ecological experience.
- You will have tutoring options after school available.
- You will be a “Star” for at least a week.
- You will major in creative writing in 5th grade!
To learn more about fifth grade, visit the Language Arts and Mathematics Common Core Standards sites, as well as the New Mexico Science and Social Studies Standards sites at the links provided here.