The Pre-kindergarten class at Horizon Academy West is a New Mexico PreK program aimed at preparing 4 year olds for Kindergarten through a play based curriculum. New Mexico PreK is a voluntary program funded by the state of New Mexico. The PreK classroom is intended to ensure a high quality early childhood education program before going to kindergarten. All children no matter their background or neighborhood should have an equal chance for success in school and in life. Teachers carefully plan indoor and outdoor activities based on what children need to learn in seven areas:
- Listening, language, reading and writing
- Counting, shapes, sorting and measuring
- Coordination, hygiene, health and well-being
- Art, music and movement
- Independence, problem-solving, thinking and perseverance
- Appropriate behavior, social skills and being a part of a group.
To learn more about the Pre-K program, visit https://www.newmexicoprek.org/.